Wednesday, May 31, 2006

World Issue

I was told that I should blog about world "issues." But I really don't care much for politics and such so here's one issue I'm actually passionate about:

Statistics

Millions of dogs, cats and other animals domesticated as pets in the United States are homeless.

The Humane Society of the United States estimates the number of animal shelters to be between 4,000 and 6,000. The society estimates that each year:

• 6-8 million cats and dogs enter shelters
• 3-4 million are euthanized by shelters
• 3-4 million are adopted from shelters
• 600,000-750,000 are reclaimed by their owners

Source: Humane Society of the United States. All numbers estimates.


I heard that for the Olympics in Athens, they killed thousands of cats because of the overpopulation problem. People need to be responsible and spay! That's a world issue for ya!

No comments: