Friday, May 26, 2006

Learn Chinese

Ohhhh...I found this awesome blog - Learn Chinese Through C-Pop. Now, why didn't I think of this? I mean, I'm the target audience here! This is how I've learned any Chinese at all in the past few years...and it's all been self-taught!

For instance, if you look at my one of my favorite Leehom ballads - "Kiss Goodbye," it explains a lot of the significance behind the lyrics. I was pretty sure I understood the song in its entirety but there were a few holes here and there - this fills in the gaps. Then there's the crazy raps and such that I shall never learn, but at least now I have an idea of what they're about.

I remember when Hsin-ying spent like two hours explaining to me the lyrics of "Hua Tian Cuo," which was so academic I could barely stomach it. It's basically a Chinese poem about an opera. But I loved the song so much, I HAD to learn how to sing along! But every word was like "huh? what does this mean???" Gosh, if only I had just looked at this site. I think Albert was rolling his eyes into the back of his head during this whole thing.

Same goes for Jay Chou's "Snow-Like Hair", which I also love but is so freaking hard!!! My mom tried explaining it with many more Chinese words that I didn't understand. Anyhoo, it's fun practicing and I like learning it on my own and then surprising her. =)

No comments: