Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Friendster Power

Man, I have to say Friendster is one social phenomenon...a positive one or a negative one -- the jury's still out. All I know is that it fucks with you and everyone else around you. If you Friendster, you would know. I have one friend that REFUSES to log in to her account unless she had to. I have another friend with crazy stalking issues. And yet another that was freaked out by that sudden introduction of the "who's viewed me" function. Ha, I love how Friendster screws with people. That was like the best invention yet. What better way to create havoc??? On the positive side, I've hooked up with old flames, new flames, and far-flung buddies through the damn thing. It's nice to know people are around if you ever need to get in contact...

Now, another social phenom that is unique to Friendster which makes it "oh-so-powerful" is something my friend D noticed:

"Revelation: The new way (apparently) to declare something official is to change your profile on Friendster."

Well now, isn't that great that we all give over so much power to this one entity? For something that started out as such innocuous fun, it certainly took on a life of its own.

What's crazy is how often some people log in. (Again, a function introduced by Friendster to extend its almighty hold over people). Oh well, whatever...I guess you could say blogging is just as addictive. eeek! Seriously, I wonder what our kids will be doing online by the time we're old and gray!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the last statement scares me.. <=T

Kosin said...

actually, I've had many conversations about this entry...Friendster seems to be a passionate subject for many. But yeah, I plan on being a tech-saavy parent and spy!