Sunday, May 14, 2006

Athens' Stumps

I didn't expect much from Athens, having heard it was mostly leftover stumps of rock that people visit. However, when we did finally see the Parthenon and all the ruins, it was pretty cool. I was sick of museums and such so just being able to walk through these architectural marvels with all of its history was pretty neat. You also see a myriad of devices the Greeks made for elections and the democratic process -- very impressive for that time I must say.

Anyways, it was like we were finally in civilization again - a high-rise hotel, a highway, and mobs of tourists. At last I got my street gyro with tzatziki sauce and some real kick ass baklava gelato. Then I spent way too much on some Byzantine jewelry and we had our last meal of moussaka, pastitsio, octapus, and leek croquettes. Not to worry, I got a touristy cookbook. Maybe one day it will inspire me enough to at least make a fried egg dish...or at least dip some bread in olive oil. =)

No comments: