Sunday, October 29, 2006

Pepper

I'm so sad right now. Lynn just called me to tell me that Pepper died. Mom and Dad are away with my Aunt visiting my Uncle in Maryland and Lynn was home by herself with Ian. They found her in the kitchen, not able to breathe and spitting blood. They put her in the cat carrier and couldn't get the car going and had to jumpt start it. By the time they started driving, she had passed away. Lynn's a mess and Mom must feel so guilty for being away. Mom really didn't want to go so she could be home with Pepper. I kept telling her that she should take Pepper to the doctor but she kept refusing, saying Pepper is too frail and that she gags when she picks her up. I finally convinced her to take Pepper to get checked up next week when my Aunt leaves. But now it's too late. I think Pepper only lasted as long as she did on Mom's TLC and as soon as she went away, she couldn't sustain herself anymore.

I hung up the phone with Lynn and didn't think I was that sad. But then I started crying as I thought of Pepper's former self, the healthy version of her we had for so many years. -- 14 to be exact. I looked up at the framed picture of her and Dusty on my bookcase and it just made me so sad. I remember when she was a baby and how she was such a pretty cat who liked to squeeze herself into boxes and on top of plastic bags, just sitting there all prim and proper. That was our Pepper. I regret not seeing her one last time. I think I didn't even say goodbye the last time I left Brooklyn. I should have gone down this weekend.

I called Mom to see how she was and all she said was, "don't be too sad," which only made me cry more. But of course, without her knowing. It's very strange...I never know how I'm going to react to something till it happens. I can't believe I won't ever see my Pepperbabe again.

No comments: