Sunday, October 15, 2006

The Departed

So tired. I must be getting on in my years. It was such a gorgeous day today. It got a bit nippy at night but brisk walking does a soul good. Z and I went to see The Departed. It was probably the most entertaining move I've seen this year. Really, better than the original Infernal Affairs. You gotta give it to the actors. I'm sorry, but Andy Lau is good but you can't compare him to a bunch of Oscar winners. The script was also engaging and the characterization, really true to the original but much improved.

I love how it's a Chinese adapted film AND it's got Boston flavor. There was one scene with Marky Mark, Martin Sheen, and Leo DiCaprio under the red line bridge and that's friggin' North Quincy! It's the Neponset Bridge where I used to go over everyday on the way to work and would stare at the sparkling blue water for a moment of peace before I started the day. Well, the whole movie made me feel like such a local...oh North Shore vs. Southie class differences. Funny. Crap, I've been here too damn long. Anyhoo, I had heard a long time ago that Brad Pitt was remaking it and I guess he produced it but didn't act it it. Probably for the best...leave it to Marky Mark and Matt Damon to deliver spot-on Bostonian accents. I think at the beginning of the movie everyone cheered when "Boston" rolled onto the screen. And everyone clapped in the end. Anyways, good stuff...I just hope the Chinese get some credit for coming up with the concept in the first place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha.. funny. we saw "the departed" this weekend as well.. for those that saw the chinese version "infernal affairs", we didn't like "the departed".. everything was expected and we actually like the chinese version better.. .but yeah.. where's the movie hype/credit to the original chinese version???