Monday, March 13, 2006

You Can Take Me Out of BK But You Can't Take the BK Outta Me

Ok, so I've had to totally adjust my own self-perception. I was told yesterday that I have a very obvious and distinct accent when I speak. Apparently, it is what someone noticed about me upon first meeting me (that and my unique name) and supposedly, it left quite an impression. And what accent might this be? Why, it is the highly coveted accent everyone tries to mimic -- a half New Yawk and half Chinese accent. I was extremely stupified and vexed upon hearing this observation. "What? I don't have an accent!" "What?? You think I sound like a Chinese take-out waiter???" (That was my initial reaction). I got a couple of "Oh, no! Not a Chinese waiter! Oh no! I meant no offense!" Yeah right! That's a very flattering compliment. So I was like ok, now I've got to ask other people whether I talk funny! So I go and ask Lynnie who was like "Oh yeah, you talk in a Kosin-accent. I've always known that it's half New York, half Chinglish." Ugh! Then she proceeded to point out specific words I say incorrectly. I was like "Shit! I've been a NY FOB all along and no one bothered to tell me!" Oy vey! (Oh yea, I live near some Hasidic Jews too) ;)

No comments: