Friday, March 31, 2006

Secret Appreciation

Just taking a short break because I'm way tired this morning. As I was sitting, staring out the window of Dunkin' Donuts on the corner of Hudson, sipping blue-collar coffee and eating my breakfast sandwich, my mind wandered. I thought of the dream I had yesterday. I won't go into detail but sometimes my dreams really surprise me. The random people that pop up in them and the mock/semi-real situations that occur. I'm always left wondering what my subconscious reveals about what I really think and feel and how reliable these revelations are.

As I marveled at all the early morning dog-walkers and avid joggers, I started pondering what the common thread was in the people I've loved. I asked myself a simple question: How did I come to love this person? I came to the conclusion that it has to do with having one unique, secret appreciation of this person that no one else was privy to. I saw a hidden side of his personality, an inner world, or a specific trait no one else could perceive or value. I don't think I've ever verbalized these points to any of them. Perhaps I myself, didn't even know.

It reminds me of that movie, "Win a Date with Tad Hamilton." Pete, who loved Rosalee remarked on his secret appreciation of her:

"Like do you know she has six smiles? One when something really makes her laugh. One when she's making plans. One when she is laughing out of politeness. One when she is uncomfortable. One when she is making fun of herself. And one when... she's talking about her friends. "

It doesn't have to be a behavior but maybe a characteristic no one else recognizes. I can think of several examples actually. Anyways, you get the point. Ok, enough sentimental shit. We're going out to lunch and enjoying the rest of this beautiful day. A nice meal sitting out in the sun is in order. =)

No comments: