Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Clay Pot Salmon Rice

Yesterday, I went to En Japanese Brasserie, a very hip West Village Japanese tapas place right around the corner from our Morton St. office. I passed by in the morning and then looked it up on Zagats. It seemed pretty interesting, not your typical Japanese sushi place. Indeed, it was because I finally finally found this dish I've been searching far and wide for. It was an entree called Clay Pot Salmon and Salmon Roe Over Rice. I remember an episode of Iron Chef years back when I saw Morimoto mixing up this homey concoction. It looked so simple, yet so divine! My mouth was watering as I searched the Internet for a similar recipe. All of them seemed pretty complicated and none was exactly what I was looking for. Then lo and behold, I happen upon this gem of a restaurant. They actually took 40 minutes to prepare it. It's a similar concept to those clay pot rice bowls they serve in some Chinese places. But this was so fragrant and light and the salmon roe added just the right touch of sweet saltiness to the light salmon rice.

We also had this homemade yufu-tofu that only comes out in timed increments (noted on the menu) so that if you arrive at the right moment, you can order yourself a freshly made bowl of tofu drifting in soy milk that you then pour a special soy sauce over. I was afraid it would be just like the tofu pudding you get at dim sum or on the corner of Grand St. in Chinatown for 2 bucks. But it was a different experience that I appreciated. We also had braised pork belly with garlic rice and beef tataki (I love raw beef). For dessert, we had a sweet potato sundae. It was interesting -- sweet potato with a scoop of vanilla ice cream topped with black sesame seeds and chocolate syrup. Actually the black sesame seeds made the whole thing come together, surprisingly so. Anyhoo, after that I was stuffed but now I'm ever more determined to find a good recipe for this salmon rice dish. Or perhaps it's easier to just go back to the restaurant?? My cooking aspirations seem to only remain that -- aspirations. =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

teehee. .you sound like one of the commentators on iron chef. ;)

Kosin said...

Haha...I'm getting all my co-workers to go too. =) I'm just a foodie.