Friday, September 29, 2006

Low Expectations

So I finally went apartment hunting in the city to see what I can get for my hard earned dollar. I think because my expectations were so damn low that the experience pleasantly surprised me. All the agents I worked with were pretty nice people. Some apartments were bad but I actually saw two that I would totally consider. The one I really liked was somewhat out of my price range -- $2,500 a month. Crazy, right? Yeah, but it's right next to the Time Warner building near Hell's Kitchen and is a huge space compared to the small shitholes you usually get. Apparently, that is considered a "great deal." One agent was really snobby tho, with it being a seller's market, he was like "oh whatever, if-you-want-to-see-it-I-don't-care attitude." Nearly everyone was like, "if you like it, you'd better sign up for it now because it won't be here tomorrow." Unfortunately, that part is true. But then I realized the broker's fee was ridiculous -- 15% of one year's rent...that's like $4-5K!! It was still eye-opening though. The way I see it, at least I got some exercise today. I think I might have walked 7 miles (I'm not kidding you!). Shoulda worn my shox instead of my pumas.

No comments: