Thursday, June 08, 2006

Purse Forum

This is the only forum I am a part of. Ok, maybe I am also a member of one or two others but I'm only active on this one. We don't discuss cage fighting, nor do we chat about cars...but we do argue the merits of slouchy bag trends, the quality of goat leather, and Tom Ford's legacy as a designer. We also provide loads of moral support, as in "ohhh, nice bag...congrats!"

I thought it was bizarre at first. But it saved me from buying a fake Balenciaga on Bluefly. Bluefly suddenly had an influx of new merchandise that turned out to be fakes. Of course, it was the ladies on the PF that recognized the ill-fitting bales on the bags and called it in. Luckily I checked the PF before I made a purchase. And since only women with high-earning potential (i.e., of higher education) tend to be on this forum, the lawyers of the bunch were calling Bluefly corporate and the attorney general to alert them to this critical matter. So now, all of Bluefly's credibility is completely shot. Everyone thinks twice about buying from them, for fear of knockoffs. Definitely not good for business. Bluefly should have stopped all sales immediately and issued a public apology. That's what I would do if I were managing Bluefly's marketing communications. It's poor form.

Anyhoo, another interesting story is this thread about this lady who bought like 7 purses since January - each about $2K. She was saying her therapist warned her that she was trying to fill a void. Everyone on the forum was like, "well, we're a bunch of enablers" so you might not want to visit this forum everyday." hehe. Crazy, crazy.

Well, long story short, forums are kinda fun and entertaining...but a bit psycho at times.

No comments: