Thursday, June 22, 2006

Learn English

My new favorite resource is Merriam-Webster...it has audio files for proper pronunication! No more FOBBY talk for me! BUT...I am right about "ogle." HA!

ogle

Main Entry: 1ogle

Pronunciation: 'O-g&l also 'ä-
Function: verbInflected Form(s): ogled; ogling
/-g(&-)li[ng]/
Etymology: probably from Low German oegeln, from oog eye; akin to Old High German ouga eye -- more at
EYE


debauchery

Main Entry: de·bauch·ery
Pronunciation: di-'bo-ch&-rE, -chrE, -'bä-
Function: nounInflected Form(s): plural -er·ies


respite

Main Entry: 1re·spite

Pronunciation: 'res-p&t also ri-'spIt, British usually 'res-"pIt
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English respit, from Old French, from Medieval Latin respectus, from Latin, act of looking back -- more at
RESPECT


oblong

Main Entry: ob·long

Pronunciation: 'ä-"blo[ng]
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin oblongus, from ob- toward + longus long -- more at
LONG


dachshund

Main Entry: dachs·hund

Pronunciation: 'däks-"hunt, -"hund; 'däk-s&nt; esp British 'dak-s&nd
Function: noun
Etymology: German, from Dachs badger + Hund dog: any of a breed of long-bodied, short-legged dogs of German origin that occur in short-haired, long-haired, and wirehaired varieties

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you say oo-gle? Or was that ob-loong? In any event, there's more fun mispronunciations and misspellings yet to come...

Kosin said...

Yes, yes...more to come. I think my folly is that I read and write to much...gotta practice speaking. Crap. No one has ever called me out on my fobby mis-spellings, pronuniciations and accents except my sister. =( I don't know if that makes you special or especially annoying. :P

Anonymous said...

especially adorable.

Kosin said...

...and especially "creative" and "good-looking"...
(gee, forget complimenting the girl...keep piling it on with your own self-accolades!)

=P

Anonymous said...

I think I recall complimenting you more than once in person... but none of those are repeatable here.