Friday, April 07, 2006

Heirlooms

My mom just gave me some jewelry she has but never wears anymore. What I didn't expect were all the stories and history that came with each piece. Some were gifts that my grandmother had given my mom when she graduated high school and then college. Others were wedding gifts. The prettiest was an antique jade ring that I took a liking to which turned out to be somewhat of a family heirloom. My mom said it was from my great-grandmother, passed down to my grandmother and then her. I was impressed because it's not the sort of thing my family is known for but it warmed my heart. Now I get to have it and hopefully my daughter will too. My mom also dug out this gold snake pendant she got me when I was born...I had been looking for it over the years but could not find it and was so glad to see it because I remember she had told me all about it when I was younger. Then she turns to my sister and says "Do you want to see the doggie pendant I got you when you were born?" Lynn replies, "Nah." And my mom responds with, "Good, because I haven't purchased it yet!" Haha. Sucks to be second-born. Well, at least my mom got us both baby rings....which she showed us...tiny little gold rings that barely fit on my pinky. So cute. She said she'd save them for me to give to my kids. It's so nice to sit here and listen to my mom reminisce. You just don't appreciate it until you're an adult I suppose.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey! i'm 2nd born! =P ... hec, i'm the "middle-neglected child." =P