Saturday, March 10, 2007

300

We just saw a late showing of 300. I loved all the Spartan “outfits.” My, my, my, I hope all those six-packs weren’t CG. ;) It was of course, visually awesome. I liked it for what it was. Sure, it was a wannabe cross-between Gladiator and LOTR but I enjoyed it anyhow. The problem was that it was completely unbelievable and unlike its predecessors, it didn’t have any layers to the story. All that prosletyzing about honor, glory, and defending your country….blah, blah, blah. Too preachy and not personal enough. It desperately needed better writers; it was just too one-dimensional. However, I liked our protagonist…he was all buff and rough, a bit George Clooney-esque. Gave a good performance. But gee, what was up with all lepers and deformed militia — obviously they were there in place of a few good orks. And why were the Persians a mix of black and Arab looking people? And why in hell was their king a Ru-Paul stand-in??? Hmmm…I set out to give this movie a good review but it’s just so lacking. But I still recommend seeing it…for a jolly good time watching Herculean abs of steel flanked in red capes, thigh muscles flexing as they spear faceless enemies in slow-mo. Trust me, it’s cool.

No comments: