Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Kong's Saving Grace

I saw "King Kong" this weekend. My friend was completely put off by the racist depiction of the nutty natives, the nasty bugs, lack of lines, and the fact that it was basically Jurassic Park IV. After three hours of actors emoting to a fake Kong, I had a couple of laughs at the ridiculousness of the assorted creatures. Well, you take it for what it's worth, a fun ride I suppose. Like I've always said, as long as it transports me into another world for a few hours and is mildly entertaining, that's fine by me.

Yet, there was one part of the movie I did appreciate. It was when Adrian Brody's character remarked on Jack Black's Dedham, "One thing you learn about Dedham is that he has an uncanny ability to destroy the very thing that he loves." I think we all have that in us, when trying to appreciate, celebrate or share something we love, we may go overboard. Or when picking and finding fault with something or someone you love simply because you don't know how to properly appreciate it. It's a distinctly human quality, for better or worse.

No comments: