Monday, January 23, 2006

Indoctrinated Into "Initial D"

So I finally caught that Initial D movie with Jay in it. Now I can see why they cast a Chinese mega-star to play the lead part -- so people like me will actually watch a movie based on an anime about cars. Ok, I guess I liked it...coming of age story and all. But gee, did they have to have that storyline with the girl and her "patron"? I know anime is not for kids and it's Japan we're talkin' about but still...that subplot threw me off. But the rest of it was enjoyable enough and Jay is aloof and mumbly to begin with so it was not a stretch for him to play himself. Oh, but that Edison Chen is hot! I could not place him for a long time...but I knew I had seen him before. Apparently, he starred in Internal Affairs, playing the role of Andy Lau's "Ming" as a teenager in the police academy. Anyways, so the highlight of this film? Well, for me it wasn't the drifting or the rare cars. Certainly it had to be the many gratuitous shots of tender shaking tofu. I've never seen a movie where tofu was so given so much screen time. ;) But hey, tofu drifting is cool and even I'd like to have a spin on Mt. Akina! Now I can't wait to have an Initial D anime marathon. =)

No comments: